Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Locks Of Love.......

This last Saturday myself (Kate) and Tami, Krystal and little miss Emily went to Solano Community College in Fairfield, Ca. They were giving free haircuts from the cosmetology department and donating the hair to Locks of Love.

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.

I was able to donate 10" of hair and Tami donated 16"!!!!!! It was amazing to see all the support from women and men. All I can say it that it was an awesome experience and I would encourage everyone to donate. Here's my philosophy: It's only hair and it means a lot more to someone who doesn't have any than it does to me, so why not donate it.

I have been wanting to do this for some time and my inspiration is my very dear friend Mary. Mary and I met in college in the early 90's and have been close ever since. In Jan. 2003 she was diagnosed with breast cancer and has fought cancer with everything she has and is still winning today cancer free. So Mary for those many months you didn't have hair, I donated my hair in your name. Love you.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new hair cut looks good on you! That was a wonderful thing you did!

Abra Leah Cross said...

That is so wonderful! My husband had hair longer than mine when we got married and he donated a 16" BRAID to LOL about 5 years ago. :)

LOL is a wonderful organization - I'm glad you were able to be a part of something so powerful and loving.

Y'all rock! :)