Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Update on chemo

I'm not sure if you've noticed but at the bottom of the posts there's a label and it used to say My Journey. I changed it to Our Journey as I'm not the only one going through this and having to live with this crap. I've been a little angry lately that this disease has affected so many and changed so many lives, it just makes me mad. I am of course grateful that I have all the support that I do have I'm not sure where or how I would be without it. Thank-you.

So yesterday I had my second dose of Gemzar and I had to go to Vallejo for the treatment as they were understaffed in Vacaville. It was a very different experience. I was in a very tiny room with no windows and very gloomy. My mom was with me and she read to me for a little bit and then the meds kicked in and I was tired so I rested as she read to herself. Before I knew it, it was over and we got to go home.

Last week wasn't so horrible, but I did have 2 days of bone pain in my legs only and I was able to get to sleep with the wonderful Ambien. On Saturday I had a low grade fever and I'm not sure if that made me vomit or it was just the Gemzar rearing it's ugly head. I've heard this is one of the more easier chemo treatments to have, but it seems to kick me down a few times.

So on Sunday I was up early and we, Rob and I made Thanksgiving Day turkey, ham, stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, greans and grean beans with onions and bacon. It was an awesome day, oh yeah we baked a pumpkin pie also. Family and friends came to celebrate and I did pretty good, I only had to lay down for a little bit.

The next day, Monday, was a stay in bed day, but I guess that's the price I payed for trying to do an all day event. But like my mom told me if that's the price to pay for a very good day, it's worth it.

So with chemo I had a headache last night and a small fever again, but other than that things are going well. Today I'm supposed to meet up with my old boss Dr. Dian Allen and I'm really looking forward to it. It's been along time since we've seen each other and I'll be picking up my things that I left there when I had to leave.

So that's it we're up to date again. Up and coming things are keeping an eye on my blood counts so that I can continue treatment and the losing of my hair. I'm thinking I need to let Rob buzz my hair again so I don't have all these little hairs everywhere, which will be annoying I'm sure as I've heard that from my dear friend Mary who is going through this battle also with cancer.

Thank-you for all the awesome thoughts and prayers that you all have been sending my way, we know that it's working without it doubt. I can't thank-you all enough.

Until next time.


Colleen said...

Hey there!

I had a wonderful time Sunday! I am sorry that Monday had to be used to recover from Sunday but I have to agree with your mom.

I couldn't remember if I mentioned it on Sunday but your hair looked great!! It reminded me of Janet from Three's Company. You are so lucky to have a perfectly shaped head!!! Anything you do looks great!!

Take Care!!!

Jen Dickson said...

Glad you all had an awesome time! A day in bed is soo worth the memories! And sleep is good! It's healing! Hope you all are doing well! I love you and you are always in my thoughts and prayers!